Monday, July 14, 2014

Avgolemono: Lemon Chicken Soup

Two meals that I only ever tasted once during my childhood stick out vividly in my mind to this day.  They were that good.  First, an incredible peanut soup that I had at a friend's house.  Her mom set steaming bowl in front of me, and I'll admit, I was wary... peanut soup?  It was unlike anything I had ever tasted before, and it was amazing.  The second was also a soup.  And it was also at a friend's house.  My best friend growing up had the most amazing cook for a mother.  And I spent so much time at her house that I started calling her mom Auntie Suzanne.  One day she set a bowl of lemon chicken soup in front of me, and I've dreamed about it ever since.

Yesterday Carsten requested soup for dinner.  He knows I love soup, and they are relatively quick to throw together.  When I don't follow a recipe though, my soups all turn out about the same: delicious but not entirely exciting when you just ate it a week prior ;)  So I decided to look for a recipe, and Auntie Suzanne's lemon chicken soup immediately came to mind.  I have no idea why it has taken me this long to try to make it.  It's maybe the easiest soup I've ever made, and if you're craving soup on a hot summer day, this one is refreshing, even though it's piping hot.  I found this recipe at Katie at the Kitchen Door, and adapted it only very very slightly.  Enjoy!


Ingredients
(serves 2, with maybe a bit for leftovers)

6 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
2 chicken legs
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or finely minced
1/2 cup brown rice
1 can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste (I didn't feel the need to add any salt)

Procedure
In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the chicken broth, chicken, minced/crushed garlic, and brown rice. Bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until both the rice and the chicken are fully cooked – the rice should be tender and the chicken should be cooked through, with no pink in the middle when you cut into it.

Remove the chicken from the pot and place on a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones, discard skin and bones, tear meat into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.

Beat the egg white with a whisk in a medium bowl until it is white and thick. Lightly beat the egg yolk, then add the egg yolk to the beaten egg white and whisk together. Slowly pour the lemon juice into the egg mixture as you whisk. The mixture should be pale yellow and fairly thick. Slowly add a thin stream of the hot broth-rice mixture to the egg-lemon mixture, whisking the eggs vigorously as you do so, to temper the eggs, using about 2 cups of the broth mixture. Pour the tempered egg-lemon mixture back into the pot, whisking the soup as you do so. Continue to stir, and add the chicken pieces, chickpeas, and dill to the pot. Cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring, to heat all ingredients through and slightly thicken the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot.


share.eat.repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment