Friday, September 13, 2013

Saltine Toffee


I forgot how good this stuff is.  In high school, each year at the beginning of Hanukkah, my friends and I used to get together and make it on top of matzo, and everyone in the class would be begging for "just a little piece" all week long.  Thank you Melissa for introducing me to this simple and delicious candy!

When I was back in Eugene for a few days this summer, my mom decided to make it for Krissy's Going away (to College) party.  It was a hit.  Only she makes it with Saltine crackers, which add just the perfect amount of saltiness to each bite.  And I was so excited that mom had left a good amount at home in the fridge, however, I had gotten excited too soon.  Mom, being the generous person that she is, had my sister and I deliver it to my cousins' house so that they could enjoy it instead.  Sigh.  But that's what sweets are for, sharing.  So I've decided to make a batch myself, and I'm sure there will be plenty of friends to share with :)

This recipe is all over the internet, but here it is once again:

Ingredients
A bag and a half salted saltine crackers (about 40 crackers)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
cup chopped nuts (I used slivered almonds)

Procedure
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray (I forgot to spray mine, but it turned out okay).  Lay the saltine crackers evenly on the pan, squeezing in as many as possible.



In a small saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat.  After the butter has completely melted, continue stirring until the mixture begins to boil around the edges.  Let it boil for three minutes without stirring. After three minutes, pour the hot brown sugar mixture evenly over the saltine crackers.  I had to spread the toffee over the crackers, so that the whole pan was evenly covered.

 my small sauce pan was just barely big enough

Bake in the preheated oven for 5-6 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips across the toffee. Let them melt for a couple of minutes and then use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate evenly across the toffee (I turn off the oven after taking out the toffee, but return the toffee to the warm oven after sprinkling the chocolate chips over it.  One minute in the hot oven melts the chocolate just enough that it's easy to spread).

 after 5-6 minutes in the oven, it should be all bubbly



Sprinkle chopped nuts on top of the melted chocolate. Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely (I put mine in the fridge to help it set up quickly). Break the toffee into bite-size pieces.


To store, keep toffee in an air-tight container for 1-2 weeks (in the fridge if your house is warm, like mine) or in the freezer for a couple of months (if you can make it last that long).

share.eat.repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment